Friday, November 6, 2009

A day of milestones

Posted by Amy at 7:02 PM
Just when we're settling into our little guy's routine, he hits us with a big day of unexpectedness.

Johnny will be four months old on the 14th, and we were slightly concerned because he hadn't shown any signs of rolling over. My mother-in-law watches him two days a week and has said he'd roll to one side a bit when she'd put him on a blanket, but he hadn't really done it for us.

I got a good picture of him half rolled onto his side the other day, but I hadn't seen much additional action... 'til last night.

We put the little guy down for a nap when we got home and went to check on him at around 8pm. We walked in and saw...



The little guy laying on his side for the first time ever.

After we got over crying because OUR LITTLE BOY IS GROWING UP AND I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO BE LITTLE FOREVER AND HE'S SUPPOSED TO STILL BE DEPENDENT ON US FOR EVERYTHING AND NEXT THING YOU KNOW HE'LL BE ASKING TO BORROW MONEY FOR PROM TICKETS AND TELLING US HE'S SORRY BUT HE'S GOING TO BE ON MAURY BECAUSE SOME GIRL IS SAYING HE COULD BE THE DADDY, we sat down and started talking about how much he's grown since he was born. Before we went to bed, we got over it. We heaved a collective sigh of, "So this is what it means when people say 'They grow up so fast,'" and found him sleeping the same way this morning. Que sera, sera. We thought we were all set, til we then got hit with a double whammy today.

As I go to play with the little man on my lunch break (I worked from home today), we settle into our spot on the blanket, and he does it. IT. HE DOES IT. HE FRIGGIN' GOES AND DOES IT ON HIS OWN.



He rolls right over, onto his little tummy, all by himself. Sigh. Not again.

I felt bad that my husband missed it, but I was glad one of us was here. That's not to say it would have been any less great (or tear-worthy) if he had been at daycare or with my mother-in-law, but it's just something I'm glad I witnessed. One of the downfalls of not being able to be a stay-at-home is a fear of missing all these milestones. We want to be there to see him (if, because apparently a lot of babies don't) crawl, stand, walk, talk. It's not like it won't happen again, or like we won't ever be able to see him do it when we go to pick him up or whatever, but it's just something we'd like to see if we can.

I was holding him when he smiled (a non-gas, non-asleep smile) for the first time, and I can remember looking at him falling even more in love with him at that exact moment.

Since then, we've heard him coo non-stop, "talk," and squeal with delight, but we weren't expecting the side sleeping, much less the roll-over, no matter how many times the pediatrician at the hospital told us when we "checked out" that he'd be doing it around 3 or 4 months.

So wow, I thought to myself, this guy is just growing by leaps and bounds. Any day now he'll be...

LAUGHING. Like he did at just that moment.

This wasn't a little noise. This wasn't a squeal. This was a good ol' fashioned hardy-har-har type laugh. I was ecstatic, but the poor kid probably couldn't tell that from the way I sat there staring at him like an idiot for the next 30 seconds, not sure if I'd actually just heard what I thought I had. I did. He laughed.

He slept on his side, he rolled over and he laughed. Today. Like a big boy. And I heard and saw it all. Man, I love being a mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just hope he does all this stuff again on Monday, aka Daddy and Johnny Day! :)

Anonymous said...

So, I have a "didn't know the baby was going to roll over until it was too late story"..

When Madelyn was a baby, probably about Bean's age, she was laying on our bed, while I was cleaning up around the apartment.

I ran into the kitchen to grab something and then I heard it..THUD..."Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

I ran back into the bedroom and Madelyn was no longer on the bed. She'd ROLLED off the bed onto the floor and looked like a turtle who was flipped over on its back. So, the first time she rolled over was doubly traumatic for me.

Yikes.

 

The Onesie Chronicles Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez