Thursday, March 25, 2010

Apparently, I'm not the only one with Rocky Point Park memories

Posted by Amy at 9:25 AM
Several times in various places on my blog (like my run-in with Patrick Swayze in the early '90s), I've made reference to Rocky Point Park. It was an amusement park in Warwick, Rhode Island, much smaller than your typical Six Flags-sized establishment, where you could eat your weight in clam chowder and fritters (no, I'm not licking my lips. They're just dry) in the giant hall and then feel it coming back up as you spent the afternoon riding the Freefall, bumper cars and the Skyliner and walking through the House of Horrors.

Guess which one of those places was secretly my favorite? Clearly the dining hall.

With my dad and his spectacular 'stache in the "World's Largest Shore Dinner Hall," circa 1993.


So with all these great memories our family has of all our trips to Rocky Point, it's a shame that we can't relive them since the park closed its doors in 1995. But in poking around on the interwebs tonight, I came across and am really excited to see -- a 2007 documentary called "You Must Be This Tall: The Story of Rocky Point Park" that tells the story of the park's rise and fall.



The Providence Journal apparently gave the film five stars, and it's won several film festival awards. I bought a copy online tonight, and I'm actually really excited for it to come.

If you're a fellow New Englander with fond Rocky Point memories (during its good days, the park was ALWAYS packed), you can order the DVD -- FREE SHIPPING! -- online at the film's website, www.rockypointmovie.com. They also have some nifty merch that you can buy there -- t-shirts and sweatshirts with the Rocky Point logos on them. I think I just might pick one of those up.

I'll write a post about the movie once I receive it, but until then, I'll leave you with a few pictures of the ol' Rocky Point from her heyday, courtesy of the website. I miss the park so much!

"The World's Largest Shore Dinner Hall"




"The Enterprise"




"The Skydiver"


"The Skyliner"

0 comments:

 

The Onesie Chronicles Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez