Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Birthday Boy

Posted by Amy at 10:55 PM
Long time no see, huh?

Sorry about that. But I had good reason… in July, my baby boy, apple of my eye, shining star in my world, turned 1. The big O-N-E.

We had a big party for him at our house, and while we like to say it was jungle-themed, we were probably the only ones that noticed. We didn't rent any mobile petting zoos, didn't take everyone to the zoo, didn't hire Doug the Monkey Guy (though I told my husband he could and I'm pretty sure having an excuse to hire him to bring at least one monkey to our house is the only reason he wanted to have a baby). We ordered a bunch of stuff from Oriental Trading -- if you've never ordered from there for party supplies before, you're seriously missing out -- like animal-print hand fans, animal-shaped beach balls, tablecloths, party hats and the like.

I *LOVED* the cake my mother-in-law Carol made for the baby. She and my brother-in-law Mike made the little animals on the top, and I was absolutely blown away. It was absolutely adorable.



My sister made a smash cake for the baby, the cutest, most frosting-covered thing you've ever seen, which he promptly squished between all of his fingers while shoving fistfuls of butter-based frosting into his little eager mouth. Goofball. He's a fan of the vanilla frosting, I think, just like his momma. I'm so proud.



I'm glad he made a mess. How many chances in your life do you really have to do that, right? (Besides every other birthday and your wedding. Well, whatever. Cake + hands of fury + no guilt on your birthday = rockin' good time.)



In anticipation of the big day -- the party was July 17th -- we decided to do something with just the three of us on his actual birthday, July 14th. John went and got a little cake at the grocery store, and we wrapped a little present we got him.

We were all excited. We got the big "1" candle and didn't even mind knowing we'd be cleaning chocolate frosting out of his ears and from under his fingernails. And who am I kidding -- I wanted to see his reaction to the cake! Was it delicious? Sweet? Something he's never had but now loves? Well, his reaction wasn't EXACTLY what I'd anticipated.







I think this pretty much sums it up for all three of us.

Though we're thrilled (wrong to feel a little accomplished that he's lived for a year?) that Johnny has turned one year old, we're a little sad too. As glad as I am that the newborn days are over, and as happy as I am to hear his little voice "talking" away when I see him every day, it's still a little sad. My baby's growing up!

0 comments:

 

The Onesie Chronicles Copyright © 2009 Baby Shop is Designed by Ipietoon Sponsored by Emocutez